Glossary

Achewon Nimat Lodge 282 San Francisco Bay Area Council, Boy Scouts of America
Copyright © San Francisco Bay Area Council, All Rights Reserved
Terminology Description
Achewon Nimat Lodge 282, Order of the Arrow San Francisco Bay Area Council-BSA, 1001 Davis Street, San Leandro, CA  94577  | PH: 510.577.9000 email: info@achewonnimat.org  |  www.achewonnimat.org
95421 USPS Postal Code of Royaneh 4600 Scanlon Road Camp Royaneh Address 46579 Number of the Deed to Camp Royaneh as filed on April 20, 1925 in Santa Rosa 49rs Campsite (c 1926 – 1985), Original campsite at Royaneh, Torn down to make way for handicap accessible shower house Acres, 16 Russian Gulch Outpost Camp acreage Acres, 120 Original amount of acreage purchased from Watson Ranch Acres, 345 (originally 120) Current amount of acreage at camp Alumni Night 5th week Friday night when alumni & staff return for socializing Andrew Hallidie, Cabin 1 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Aqua-neh Name of the swimming pool program area at camp Royaneh Austin Creek (East) Creek adjacent to Camp once dammed and used as waterfront Baden Powell Scouts Program designed for first year campers Bar H Ranch Property adjoining Camp Royaneh was the horse program for overnight pack trips and adventure away from the modern camp. (c 1942) Bear Gulch / 49er campsite (c 2008) above Kiwanis Grove Bill Hickock, Cabin 3 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Bob’s Bend name of area at bottom of Scoutcraft hill (c 2008) in honor of Bob Animo longtime staffer Brete Harte, Cabin 2 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Buddy Point Campsite (c 1971 – present), 22 person max Buffalo Bill, Cabin 2 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Buffery Flats Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Cairn Boot Trail 24 sites around camp containing stamps the Scouts collect Camp Moore Name of Camp Royaneh from 1939 to 1950, in honor of first Council President. Officially known as Camp Royaneh of the CC Moore Scout Reservation. Camp of Joy Possible meaning of “Royaneh” from the Iroquois Indians. In 1925 George Hart from SFC Troop 54 won a competition among Scouts to name the new camp. Camp Royaneh Camp name from 1925 to 1939, and 1951 to Present. Camp was named by George Hart during a competition of SF scouts in 1925. Campsites, 14 number of tent and cabin campsites Canoe Base Name of the boating area that was dammed during summers Capt. Armstrong, Cabin 4 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Capt. Watson, Cabin 6 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Cazadero, CA Camp Royaneh’s location Chalet Handicraft building Chiefs Room Scoutmasters room in honor of naturalist Uncle Ed Dike Clark Grove Grove of Redwoods in honor of Samual Clark. A tree from this Grove fell on the original dinning hall in 1981 collapsing the main support beam Col. Andrew Rowan Cabin 1, Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Col. John Fremont Cabin 6, Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) COPE Course (Challenging Outdoor Personal Experience) Critter Of The Week Camp Royaneh Daniel Boone, Cabin 5 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Davy Crockett, Cabin 3 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Dead Horse Flats Area of camp down near East Austin Creek Dead Horse Flats Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Diamond R Corral Corral operations , corral dedicated in 1960 Distance, 2.5 Miles Distance from Royaneh to Northwestern Pacific train station in Cazadero in 1927 Distance, 91 Miles distance from Council Office (c 1968) Eagle Eye Camp Royaneh Ghost (c 1929 – 1938) Greenville Watson Original land owner of the Camp Royaneh property Fern Glen Falls Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Five Brothers Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Forester Campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 56 person max Forty-Niners Campsite (c 1968) located above original Plainsmen shower house. Site was torn down to make way for new handicap accessible shower house. Fricot Meadow campsite (c 1971 – present), 26 person max FrontiersMen campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 48 person max Gallons, 155,000 “L” shaped pool approximately 100’ x 60’ Gallons, 20,000 holding capacity of main septic tank under soccer field Gen John Sutter, Cabin 3 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Gen. Custer, Cabin 4 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) George Hart Scout from SFC Troop 54 who provided the name Royaneh for the camp. A competition was held in 1925 for naming the new camp. Gnarled Maple Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Handyman Scouts who complete any handicraft project can turn it in to be judged Harry Ross, Cabin 6 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Haunted Tree Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Hidden Springs The name of a spring located on the hillside near Mountain Man Holy Stone Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Jack Laws Trail Camp Royaneh James Lick, Cabin 3 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) James Marshall, Cabin 4 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Jedediah Smith, Cabin 2 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Audubon, Cabin 2 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Burrough, Cabin 3 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Geary, Cabin 4 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Larson, Cabin 6 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) John Muir, Cabin 1 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Kashaya Pomo Indians The band of Indians that once inhabited the Camp Royaneh area Kit Carson, Cabin 5 Plainsmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Kiwanis Grove campsite (c 1971 – present), 26 person max. Named in honor of the Kiwanis Club of San Francisco. KOD Memorial Grove Knights of Dunamis Grove, dedicated to San Francisco Scout Exec Raymond O. Hanson. Located on the hill between amphitheater and Scanlon ridge Leaders Point Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh near the play field Lions Den campsite (c 1971 – present), 29 person max Lonely Tree Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Louis Kern Contractor who constructed the original buildings at Camp Royaneh in 1925 including the large 500 seat mess hall. Luther Burbank, Cabin 1 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Madrone Ghost Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Maintenance Shed/Garage Located next to the rangers cabin (c 1953 – 1990) Mark Twain, Cabin 1 Frontiersmen Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Marvin Landfield Wrote the lyrics to the camp song “Roya-neh Forever” in c1927 Meeting Place of the Tribe Loosely translated Iroquois name for Camp Royaneh from 1925. See Also Camp of Joy. Name translation also applies to Royaneh lodge 282. Millers Retreat Camping area near Watson Ranch used for SF Council (predecessor to Royaneh) Moon Bench bench at base of Scoutcraft hill (c 1968) Mountain Man Area of camp where black powder rifle, axe throwing and other activities designed for the outdoors are held (c 1993) Murphy’s Gulch campsite (c 1971 – present), 34 person max Narrow Gauge Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh. This is where part of the Sonoma Magnesite rail line was located from 1917 until 1937. Nature Glen Nature area Old Bunk House Camp Royaneh Old Narrow Gauge Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Olive Grove Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Order Of The Rattlesnake Nature Glens highest honor Oscar Kirkham Wrote the lyrics to the camp song “Dear Royaneh” in c1946 Oxen Flume Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Peter Donohue, Cabin 5 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Peter Lassen, Cabin 2 Pioneers Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Phone: 707-632-5291 phone number for camp (c 1974) Pinnacle peak Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Pioneer Campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 56 person max Plainsmen Campsite (c 1926 – present), Original campsite at Royaneh, 48 person max PO Box 39 USPS Post Office Box Number of Camp Royaneh Pole Mountain Russian Gulch outpost camp hiking Red & Fred Names of the mules at Royaneh that ranger Jim Wilkins used to pull wagons and saddle (c 1977) Redwood Giant Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Rifle Camp Campsite (next to rifle range) (c 1977 – present) Rock Bottom Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Rodeo Ring Corral Roman Plunge Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh. Also the jumping rock area when river was dammed to form a boating area (c 1968) Rotary Rancho campsite (c 1971), 22 person max. Named in honor of the Rotary Club of San Francisco. Roya-neh Alternative spelling of Royaneh from the 1920’s to early 1930’s Russian Gulch Camp Royaneh 16 acre outpost camp and trek for senior scouts (c 1969 – 1989) Sam Duncan, Cabin 4 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Sanctuary Location of the Chapel near the Pioneer campsite Scanlon Ridge campsite (c 1971 – present), 30 person max Schneider Property 127 acres of additional land was purchased in 1969 from this family to add to the Camp Royaneh property. Adjacent to the camp along East Austin creek Sherwood J Hall Land owner who donated 16 acres of land to the San Francisco Council in the Russian Gulch area. Sonoma County County the camp is located Sonoma Magnesite Company Name of the company that built a small rail line along East Austin Creek through parts of Camp Royaneh from 1917 until 1937. Stephen Kearney, Cabin 5 49rs Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Stephen Mathey, Cabin 5 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Tevis Memorial Hospital Medical cabin at Royaneh (c 1938), originally located between the amphitheater and the pool The Roya Nehan Newsletter of camp Royaneh (c 1927) also became the name of the newsletter for the Royaneh Lodge (c 1950) Thunderbird Mascot and Logo, first makes its appearance in 1958 Tie Maker Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Top O’ Rock Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Trail of the Thunderbird Activities in program areas that get more difficult each year Tree Haven campsite (c 1971 – present), 24 person max Twin Peaks Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Uncle Ed Dike naturalist who coined “Have fun in the sun at Camp Royaneh” Uncle Stan’s Social Monday night adult social after taps Upper Loop Trail Camp Royaneh Vista View Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Watson Ranch Sarah and Greenville Watson were the original owners of the land that sold their ranch to the SF Council were Camp Royaneh is now located. White Water Creek Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Wm. Gurene, Cabin 6 Foresters Campsite cabin name (c 1940) Woodland Grotto Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh Woodpecker Delight Name of one of the Cairn trail markers at Camp Royaneh
Achewon Nimat 282
San Francisco Bay Area Council, Boy Scouts of America